Tuesday, November 18, 2014

OATH OF OFFICE AS SWORN BY Pittsburg, CA Police Officers

Posted: 18 Nov 14


Pittsburg, CA Police Department's
SACRED OATH OF OFFICE


Thanks to the typically kind responsiveness of Pittsburg Police Chief Brian Addington, we now have in our hands, the special oath which all of our police officers solemnly pledge their sacred word to strictly observe during their terms in office -- an oath I alluded to in the Civic Mentor bulletin, entitled "CEREMONY REPORT: Pittsburg Police 2014 Swearing-in & Awards (#2)" -- click here

Please note the clause, in red, which highlights this oath's significant distinction from the more familiar public oaths:
I (state your name) solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California; that I will never betray my profession, my integrity, my character, or the public trust; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will faithfully discharge the duties upon which I am about to enter.”



A RATIONALE

Public delivery of this magnificent oath of office is sufficient reason, alone, for this bulletin.  However, I wouldn't be true to the Civic Mentor's implicit two-way civic-educational function, in service to fellow humans, as well as to my own self, were I to fail to use this opportunity to provide a general discussion of this fundamental and crucial aspect of public service.

Here are fascinating discussions of oaths, in general, as well as those of the United States and its public institutions -- how, when, where, and WHY they came to be -- (thanks to Wikipedia --which has become a major, living, dynamic, reliable, practical, incredibly convenient, and highly accurate window and doorway -- into the vast, ever-expanding Human Knowledge and Experiential Bases -- upon which virtually everything about being HUMAN, versus other known forms of life, depend)

These two fascinating articles are most enlightening and are offered as clickable links to their sources:






David Nelson


All Original Content © 2014, The MENTOR Enterprises / ELMS, All Rights Reserved. BUT, I hereby waive those rights, to this extent: You may freely copy and pass this along -- and are urged to do so -- as long as it's all done free of charge, unchanged, you include this statement, AND you inform me as to how it is being used -- at YOUR convenience but, hopefully soonest.

No comments:

Post a Comment