Saturday, August 9, 2014

FRAUD ALERT!!! -- Suspicious Microsoft Service Phone Calls (Update #3)

Reposted: *7 Nov 14
Originally Posted:  9 Aug 13


Update #1 Another sensible response to this threat might be the "National Do Not Call Registry (click here)".  You may register up to three phone numbers.  You will receive a separate verification-email for each registered number.  Each takes effect 31 days after verified registration.

Update #2:  At the bottom of this article, I gave a link to StopFraud.gov.  On further investigation, the type of telephone fraud discussed herein is supposed be reported to "FTC - Telemarketing Scams (click here)" -- and I have placed a report in this case.  THE MORE WHO FILE A REPORT, THE GREATER PRIORITY THE MATTER SHOULD SURELY RECEIVE FROM OUR BUSY GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS WHO MUST MAKE THE HARD CHOICES.


*Update #3: 7 Nov 14  -- a comment today on this bulletin led me to realize that this problem is still in play and that this bulletin might be helpful to those who hadn't seen it yet.  So, it is being reposted.



Purpose

To caution fellow Internet/Microsoft users (and helpful Apple users) concerning a particular fraud I encountered, yesterday, from the phone number, 1-631-621-0001 (a New York area code but, well...).

This particular fraud has, in my view, serious threatening implications for the unwary.

The Story

1.  Yesterday, I received an unsolicited phone call  --  purporting to be a (garbled) company working on behalf of Microsoft.  (My operations are largely PC-based.)  I was instantly suspicious but curious to see where this was leading.

2.  The caller said that Microsoft was checking because they had indications from my computers (all of them, so they said) that I was encountering hidden errors that were threatening my security (more alarm bells, here -- I have super security measures in place -- not infallible, but high confidence is justified).

Besides, how could Microsoft (or any company) afford to do such a trivial, unnecessary task -- much less detect when millions of individual users are in alleged need -- and notify each one?

3.  I was then asked to run my "Event Viewer" and when I complied, playing along, they tried to interpret the various successful actions of my system as being errors (clearly absurd).  Yet, the spoken accent was so heavy, I needed to be sure I wasn't misinterpreting the words.

4.  During the course of their "troubleshooting" they guided me to a remote-control site which would enable them to take over my computer -- "just to look at the so-called error codes and determine what action they should take."  ABSOLUTELY NOT -- I HEARD ENOUGH TO REMOVE FROM THEM THE BENEFIT OF ANY DOUBT.

5.  At this point, I asked for a phone number so I could call back and confirm that I had a bonafide caller.  They were apparently ready for this, as they maintained a polite-seeming attitude and gave me the number without hesitation.  Here is the number I was given:  1-631-621-0001.   After hanging up, I immediately Googled the number and this is what I found (click here).

6.  As you can see from the Google Search, many have experienced this ploy -- and it is a terrible ploy, at that.  Once they dupe you into downloading the remote-control app, they can then take remote control of your system, can plant malicious codes that can track your keystrokes (or do other unpleasant things), and can access sensitive information to play havoc with your life.

Next Steps

I am still very angry -- but I haven't called back.  Still, I just hate to see this fraud perpetrated on innocent users -- without my doing something to take these miscreants to task.  I'm pondering my punitive alternatives to help society fix this -- but meanwhile, I thought you should be given this "heads-up."

For starters, I have begun exploring "StopFraud.Gov," with a view toward filing a report -- either there or someplace more appropriate. (See Update #2, at the top of this article)

Please comment below, if you have anything to add.

Down with the corruptors of our precious Internet blessing!  
Up with precautions for friends 
-- and with strong law enforcement alternatives!

David Nelson


All Original Content © 2013 , The MENTOR Enterprises / ELMS, All Rights Reserved -- BUT, I hereby waive those rights, to this extent: You may freely copy and pass this along, if you think it will do some good -- as long as it's free of charge, unchanged, and you include this statement.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the very accurate and complete detail. Unfortunately I became a victim of this scam and it did cost me a considerable financial loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry as to your difficulties but appreciate your taking the time to comment.

      I am trying hard to advance things so that I can serve more and more people -- better and better.

      With grateful regards,
      David

      Delete
  2. I have had 3 today. One from Arizona, One from New York and One from California. They don't give up. I never answer a call that I don't recognize the number or don't know anyone in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, they sure don't give up. (Must be a lucrative scam -- we've got to get the word out -- and I would love to find a way to chastise them, if they can't be discouraged as rational creatures)

      I'm so glad you found this bulletin and hope it helped you. We are going to mobilize our society to fight such stuff as one big, crushingg fist -- you'll see.

      Thank you so much for your informative comment. You've started me thinking about this problem again.

      Best regards to you, neighbor (near or distant -- neighbor nonetheless!
      David Nelson

      Delete